More often than not, the maximum speed would depend on the device you are connecting with. All Fon Spots are compatible with 802.11b/g/n standards and the great majority with the 802.11ac standard.
WiFi connection speed and availability is also affected by:
- the amount of simultaneous connections at a single Fon Spot
- the distance your device is from the Fon Spot (e.g. you are at street level and the Fon Spot is on the third floor)
- an unexpected malfunction or settings modification of the router broadcasting the signal you are connected to
- a massive use of the broadband by the owner of the hotspot
- interferences (other WiFi signals, non-WiFi wireless devices, powerlines, walls, and even humidity)
As a result, the connection can slow down and you might experience issues trying to reach any page.
If this ever happens to you, please disconnect from the signal, delete all cookies and temp files (Internet temp files in particular), and try again. Clearing cache and cookies can significantly improve the speed and performance of your browser.
Also, as hotspots' performance entirely relies on the actions and configuration of the owners of the router that hosts the hotspot, an intensive use of their broadband would logically slow down the speed or even cut the connection as their own traffic would have priority over external sessions. Please note that there is a delay before the signal status is updated.
In this case, we apologize and ask you to look for another Fon Spot in the area, using our Maps.
- if you are a Pass user (Fon visitor), please click here to come back to your dedicated section.
- if you are a Fon WiFi App user (Fon Subscriber), please click here to come back to your dedicated section.
- if you are a Fon ISP Partner member or a Fonera Owner (Fon Sharing member), please click here to come back to your dedicated section.