Fon Passes are designed almost exclusively for non-sharing members (Fon Visitors), to access the internet through Fon Spots.
The most common Fon Passes are 1 hour, 1 day, 5 days and 30 days, and are available for sale connecting to Fon Spots.
Passes can be used only on the network where they were purchased.
- 1 Hour Fon Pass: Provides 60 consecutive minutes of unlimited connection (expires 60 minutes after purchase).
- 1 Day Fon Pass: Provides 24 consecutive hours of unlimited connection (expires 24 hours after activation).
- 5 Days Fon Pass: It's a bundle of 5 individual 1 day passes. Once you activate the first day pass, a timer will be displayed showing the time remaining for the current 24h connection time period. It will expire after 24 hours, while the 4 remaining day passes will be credited to your account for future connections.
- 30 Days Fon Pass: Provides 30 consecutive days of unlimited connection (expires 30 days after activation). For the moment, it's only available on SFR, Proximus, Netia, KPN and MWEB networks.
Fon Passes activate right after they are purchased - if you ticked the bullet "Use pass immediately after purchase" during the purchase process, unless a previous Fon Pass is still active. In that case, they will be credited to your account and won't expire until you decide to use them, on the network where they were purchased, valid during 365 days after the date of purchase.
For your information, passes are not subscriptions. Subscriptions normally generate direct debits all along the subscription duration; however when you buy a Fon pass, you are charged at the moment of the purchase and when the pass duration expires you need to make a new purchase to keep enjoying the service.
In the UK and in France, Fon passes are also available offline, which means you don't need to be connected to a Fon Spot to buy them. Instead, you will be able to access the website corresponding to the country in which you wish to use the service, no matter where you are at the moment of the purchase.
Passes purchased offline are credited to your Fon account and you have 1 year (from the date of the purchase) to activate them. As for passes purchased on Fon Spots, these will be usable only on the network where they were purchased (BT Fon passes can be activated only on BTWiFi-with-Fon hotspots, and SFR Fon passes only on SFR WiFi FON hotspots).
Access can also be obtained using Promocodes, generally provided by Fon commercial partners (e.g. airports, hotels, loyalty programs, accommodation community marketplace, etc.). The connection time offered can vary (unlike passes), as it will be determined by the assigner of the promocode according to the campaign in course.
Promocodes must always be redeemed from a Fon Spot login page to get access to the internet.
There are 2 types of promocodes:
A promocode activated on the Fon network cannot be used on the Vodafone network, and vice versa.
Next step: please click here in order to know how to activate valid promocodes in a specific country (refer to the First promocode activation instructions or Promocode activation instructions respectively).
As a pass or promocode user, you will be able to take full advantage of the brand new Fon WiFi app! Purchase passes or redeem promocodes, and use them seemlessly as the new Fon WiFi app connects your device automatically to the nearest hotspot in range.
Note: despite the app can be downloaded from anywhere, the pass sale through the app is available in France, Italy and Hungary exclusively. However, you'd still be able to use the passes bought through any Fon hotspot portal on the app, to connect seemlessly.
More details in Fon WiFi app help center.
Some networks offer the possibility to try the service for free. This is a very convenient way to check the quality of the WiFi network you are connected to.
The networks offering a free trial are:
- in Belgium: PROXIMUS_FON (15mn)
- in the Channel Islands: JT Fon (15mn)
- in Greece: OTE WiFi Fon (15mn)
- in Hungary: Telekom Fon (15mn)
- in Japan: FON_FREE_INTERNET (15mn)
- in the Netherlands: KPN Fon (15mn)
- in Poland: FON_NETIA_FREE_INTERNET (15mn)
- in Portugal: NOS_WIFI_Fon or FON_ZON_FREE_INTERNET (15mn)
- in Romania: Telekom Fon (15mn)
- in South Africa: @MWEB Fon (30mn)
- in Switzerland: net+ Fon (15mn)
To use the free trial:
- Look to see if one of these WiFi signals is in range of your device and if so, connect to it.
- Open your web browser and wait for the login page to load. If it doesn't, type any web address, i.e. "www.bbc.com" into your browser's address bar.
- Click on the link or button called "Free trial" (or similar).
- Sign up to create your Fon account or sign in if you are registered already.
You're ready to surf for free!
You will be able to use the free trial once, every week.
Next step: please click here in order to know how to purchase passes in a specific country (refer to the First pass purchase instructions).
Fon Spots are created by Foneras and Fon ISP partner routers.
They always contain the word "Fon" for example:
- in Australia: Fon WiFi
- in Belgium: PROXIMUS_FON
- in Brazil: Oi WiFi Fon
- in France: SFR WiFi FON
- in Germany: Telekom_FON
- in Greece: OTE WiFi Fon
- in Hungary: Telekom Fon
- in Japan: FON_FREE_INTERNET
- in the Netherlands: KPN Fon
- in Poland: FON_NETIA_FREE_INTERNET
- in Portugal: NOS_WIFI_Fon or FON_ZON_FREE_INTERNET
- in Romania: Telekom Fon
- in South Africa: @MWEB Fon
- in Switzerland: net+ Fon
- in the Channel Islands: JT Fon
- in the UK: BTWiFi-with-Fon
- in all countries: Fon WiFi, FON_FREE_INTERNET, Fon_xxx.
Fon Spots worldwide can be located in advance using our Maps.
To be able to connect to a Fon Spot you need:
- A WiFi capable device with a web browser i.e. laptop, smartphone or any other WiFi device which has a browser.
- A Fon account (you will be asked to create one during the purchase process).
You will be required to login each time you connect to the internet through a Fon Spot, so we recommend that you mark the "Remember me on this computer" checkbox. If you wish to disconnect from a Fon Spot, simply disconnect from the WiFi Signal or switch off your device. There is no need to log out.
At the same Fon Spot* you can connect using more than one device at the same time (up to a maximum of 3 connections per Fon account). However, at different Fon Spots it is not possible to connect using the same account at the same time.
*Partnered Fon Spots in Portugal, Belgium, The Netherlands, Greece and Germany are limited to one connection per Fon account.
Next step: click here to know how to connect to Fon in a specific country.